Pear despair.

April 16th, 2008 · 6 Comments

I have a minor problem. It occurs every time I purchase a pear. Yes, I said a pear. Every single time I go to the store and carefully select and bag a delicate Bartlett pear, it is invariably ruined by the time I go to eat it. I don’t understand what happens to my pear from the time I make the purchase to the time I want to consume its juicy goodness. When I leave the store the pear has a lovely yellow hue, but by the time I go to eat it, it’s bruised and brown and the skin is peeling away from the fleshy fruit!

After doing a bit of research I discovered that pears release ethylene as they ripen and confining them to a small space, speeds up the process. But I’m at a loss, are my pears really suffering from ethylene asphyxiation in the ten minutes it takes to walk from the store to my home, or am I selecting overly ripe pears to begin with? Can’t someone help me to preserve the appearance of my pears?

Posted by: kimberly phillips · Tags: Uncategorized

• 1 Megan // Apr 17, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Do not despair over your pears! I bet you just need to select firmer pears… or maybe change the kind you buy. I find the ones with the green skin stay fresher longer than the brown skin ones. And store them in the fridge. Oh, and try not to jostle them on your way home! :o)

• 2 AG // Apr 21, 2008 at 10:04 am

This is why you need the Hermès apple carrier; it preserves your fruit in high style:

• 3 Pear despair no more! « the function key // Apr 24, 2008 at 8:16 am

[…] this ingenious and yes, extravagant apple-toting Hermès purse as a solution to preserving my fruit. Shaped like the fruit of its loins, this lambskin purse lined in stainless steel will protect your […]

• 4 Sumayya // Jul 6, 2014 at 10:25 pm

This is so awesome! You have toallty inspired me to cover some of my beige rental walls with something fabulous to look at! Any tips on making the frame? We used to have a whole workshop, but now that we are in a rental with absolutely no outside space (unless you count the stairwell where we have our tiny grill!) I would need to be able to put a frame together with minimal power tool-age. Thanks!

• 5 Elnare // Feb 28, 2015 at 6:55 am

Hi! I’m currently ktnntiig your cool banana cozy and have a few questions. I tried to find your contact info on veganlunchbox.com as directed by your blogger profile but can’t for the life of me find it. It’s probably staring me in the face. Anyway, is there anyway you can give me your e-mail so I can ask you a few questions about the pattern? Thanks :)

• 6 Herly // Apr 6, 2015 at 12:27 am

I’ve been a long time reader but first time ptosing on your website. I love it! I follow your advice and tips all the time. However, do you sell your apple/orange/banana cozy knits? I don’t know how to knit and I don’t necessarily have time (I’m doing an accelerated nursing degree program) but would love to buy this to go with my bento lunches!Thanks!-MyThy